Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The House of the Rising Sun

I knew from the moment the man called us specters that we would have to kill Reginald. He saw us as ghosts sent to harm the living and whatever the monstrosities that the Keepers were, they seemed the saviors to him. This knowledge wouldn't have occurred if the others hadn't given him the location of the Underworld Tear. Yes, I could order him to do mostly whatever I desired while we were in the room, but afterward? He'd run straight to the Keepers and give them access to the Underworld.

When I was weaving out a way to have him ...die without him knowing it was his own actions condemning them (I can't -truly- tell anyone to just die, thankfully.) Tal brought up the same thoughts. Good. We were back ont he same page again. Uncomfortable doesn't much describe the sensation of having one's other half out of sync, you know?

She's not a lover, but she's as close to an honest sister as I've ever had. Having that link off-kilter was unnerving. I agreed with her plans and slipped out only to see her stab him with the knife. Her knife. It didn't work, of course, we were ghosts. I popped back in and she improvised with the letter opener. Then I realized what she was doing. Calling her father.

Smart!

After Kathy decided to be stubborn Ben and I finally dragged her away from the statue that Tal said represented one of the Aztec Titans. Lovely. I think the reward I promised might make her eye Rupper and Ben, but with luck, I can switch that favor towards myself. Besides Ruppers in a mood. As we rushed back to the Underworld, he gave me the bird. Twice. For speaking out on his hypocrisy. Whatever. If the drugged-out bard had a skewed conscious in favor of his own faults, that's his problem, not mine. Blood sacrifice was everything in Tal's religion, and I know the druids of old favored them as well... if the Greek disliked how the world worked, he could go suck on the Lethe.

Rupper's hasty decision bit us in the ass when Thanatos greeted us at the mouth to the Underworld with a bone-slicing whirlwind. When it started taking apart ghosts who did nothing but... exist, I had to rush forward with them to try and help. The ghost at the edge of the Elysian Fields still haunted me. I lagged behind those two, the wind tearing into me. For a moment, my vision went hazy... too hazy, and then by the luck of the gods, the wind died.

I channeled my stores of ichor through my body, sealing up the worst of the damage and hobbled over to Wuyi and Rupper. Wuyi was worried, and I assured her that they were scratches. If she knew how bad they had been... nah. No worries there. Rupper pointed out the memories at the bottom of the river and I dove back into the water. Instead of diving under, though, I brought the memories to us, willing the water to follow my commands. I washed the memories onto the shore, like some dismyal underground ocean tide. I tried one final time to grab anything of my past... but I only became infused with the knowledge of Italy and everything about it geographically. Ben's knowledge.

Whereas Tal and Ben seemed to have scooped up their own memories, and Rupper and Kelly? Well, they just channeled Hypnos and made life difficult. By the time I was out of the water, had ordered Kelly to calm the frak down, and was resigned to never recovering anything more of who I was... I was exhausted. I leant against Wuyi as we made our way out of the tunnel a final time into the setting sun. There, we met Tal's father. A gorgeous hunk of godhood who gleamed as perfect as the sun.

And who I wondered was interested in a personal thanks or two. I was in no mood at at moment, and so I slept against Wuyi the entire way. Once at the Sun's pad, Wuyi and I... sampled the delights of the armory, the baths, our rooms, a balcony, and a few other spots with servants who were more than pleased to show off their prowess. I was perked up after that and braiding Wuyi's hair into pigtails when Tal and Ben approached. They sat, told me they were married, and then laughed when I couldn't summon up the words to tease them.

They will rue that day. Not really. I'm glad for Tal, and Ben's a good fit for her. Rhiannon approves. Rhia also approves of Wuyi nestling up to sleep. We spoke some more on serious matters, like why was Kelly suddenly clinging to my other side? Not twenty-four hours ago she was all over Rupper like a puppy and now she was repeating the process. Poor girl didn't even know what she wanted - and I -knew- I was a horrible fit for her. She couldn't even handle naked people! I need to nip this in the bud soon.

Eventually, I grew tired; the events of the day catching up. Tomorrow, tomorrow was going to be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment