Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Letters #4 or Listening to the Voice of Reason

Fiona,

You'll obviously had heard tale of how Wuyi and I snuck into Mag Mell underneath the nose of the Morrigan and Manannan only to be captured by Bres the Beautiful and the Formorians. While the rest of the Band travelled North, Wuyi and I proved our worth. It was... glorious and exciting and I think Anann still refuses to hear it without grumbling.

What this letter is going to address is that one should always, always heed caution when another Bandmate voices a concern. Even if you disagree with their assessment, keep their worries in mind for they may have insight that you lack. Take for example our first meeting with Prometheus. His smug questions about pride and the follies of it fell on the deaf ears of Ben, Tal, Wuyi, and Kelly. They heard and then promptly forgot Prometheus led us to a tomb of the Vanir and offered them power.

Power without an obvious price. Even when I had voiced out loud that Prometheus would attempt to exploit us, they heeded nothing of my words of wisdom and I fear that has signed them into a terrible plot to truly betray the gods. They were given the divinity of the Vanir, and yes, this has increased their legend ... but in return it allows them to wield the relics of the Vanir to proceed with Prometheus' plot: Removing the Gardens of the Vanir. The Greeks call it something else entirely but it is the same place: The Land of the Golden Apples. You would know the lore behind it: It is the Garden where the Aesir pluck the fruit and thus continue staying young and immortal forever.

One wonders if the same applies to the Greeks.

Regardless of the Lore, it is a sacred grove of a pantheon known for their ties to the land. If the Band follows through with the request by Prometheus... well... then they truly have sinned against the Gods and turned two pantheons mortal. Yes, they would have rejoined the fight but at what cost?

The second part of this letter is so I can voice my own internal dilemma. Do I tell the Band of my fears and listen to them scoff and scorn... or do I let them continue down the path of recklessness and thus be as guilty by inaction but the lesson learned in their minds to -listen- when someone gives warning to pay heed?

You already know the choice I made, this being given to you far in the future, when you're ready ... but I envy you that knowledge right now. If I tell them now, they learn nothing, and the lesson does not stick. They will continue to blunder and simply wait for me to right their wrongs without care. But if I do nothing ... they will learn the price of Pride and yet ... condemn the world with their folly.

I hope there is a third option, and my fears are nothing more than speculations upon a never-occuring scenario .. but Fate has never been that kind.

~Rhiannon

No comments:

Post a Comment